Popular Chain Restaurant Burrito:
- Extra large flour tortilla
- Brown rice
- Black beans
- Fajita veggies
- Corn salsa
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Extra large flour tortilla: Included tortilla by making portion-controlled bowls with 8" tortillas
- Chicken: Marinated in spices for flavor
- Brown rice: To control carbohydrates, we served either over brown rice or in the tortilla bowl
- Black beans: Used reduced-sodium and rinsed
- Fajita veggies: Cooked in the same skillet as chicken to get the same southwestern flavor
- Corn salsa: To control carbohydrates, we added less corn; used canned corn
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream: Made recommendation for portion control
- Cheese: Made recommendation for portion control
- Guacamole: Added guacamole as a topping option (source of healthier fat); made recommendation for portion control
Nutrition Facts Face-Off!
Before: Chain restaurant burrito with flour tortilla, chicken, brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, corn salsa, pico de gallo, sour cream, cheese, and lettuce
After: Tortilla bowl with lettuce, fajita mixture, pico de gallo, and 2 tablespoons each of cheese and sour cream
Southwestern Spiced Fajita Bowls (Printable PDF Version)
1 ½ lb raw boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced into thin strips
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons oregano
1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ medium red bell pepper, sliced in strips
½ medium green bell pepper, sliced in strips
Small onion, sliced thinly
15.25 ounce can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
8.25 ounce can sweet corn, drained
Six 8" flour tortillas
3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Pico de gallo (click here for our recipe!)
Light sour cream
Guacamole (click here for our recipe!)
Shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Add chicken, olive oil, and seasonings to a gallon-sized resealable plastic bag. Marinate in refrigerator for up to 4 hours.
- In a large skillet prepared with nonstick spray, saute chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through and browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add additional nonstick spray to skillet. Saute peppers and onions with a wooden spoon scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- When peppers and onions are tender, add chicken back to the skillet. Add black beans and corn and toss all ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make tortilla bowls, preheat oven to 375°F. Heat tortillas for 10-15 seconds in a microwave to make them pliable. Spray both sides of tortillas with nonstick spray and lay each tortilla inside oven-safe bowls. Place oven-safe bowls on baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes or until crisp and slightly browned. Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing tortillas.
- Adding larger portions of toppings will increase the calories. Or, you can use less to lower the calories.
- Try substituting other lean protein options like tilapia, shrimp, sirloin or flank steak, etc.
- Serve fajita mixture over 1/2 cup brown rice rather than in a tortilla bowl.
Nutrition Facts (Tortilla bowl with lettuce, fajita mixture, and 2 tablespoons each of cheese, sour cream, and pico de gallo): Calories 420, Total Fat 14g (Saturated 6g), Cholesterol 80mg, Sodium 870mg, Total Carbohydrate 42g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Protein 33g, Vitamin A 50% DV, Vitamin C 50% DV, Calcium 30% DV, Iron 10% DV
Today's post was written by Leia Kedem. Leia Kedem, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian and Nutrition & Wellness Educator covering Champaign, Ford, Iroquois, and Vermilion Counties. She appears weekly on WCIA-3/WCIX-49 and is a biweekly contributor to the Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette. She also maintains Facebook and Twitter accounts where she regularly posts health tips and answers nutrition questions for free.