Watch Leia prepare Stuffed Peppers on WCIA-3's ciLiving to get more recipe ideas and tips! (scroll down for a printable PDF version of this recipe)
Stuffed Peppers (Printable PDF Version)
- 4 medium bell peppers (any color), cut lengthwise and stemmed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 lb 90 percent lean ground beef
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 ½ cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil 4 quarts of water in a large pot. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bell peppers. Boil until peppers begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers to a plate lined with paper plates. Set the peppers down with the cut sides up.
- Drain the water except for 1 cup. Return remaining water to a boil and add rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is cooked.
- While rice cooks, heat oil over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add onion and saute with wooden spoon until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown for about 4 minutes, breaking up larger pieces with wooden spoon.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, then add canned tomatoes. Heat mixture until warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer beef mixture to bowl with brown rice. Add 1 cup of Parmesan cheese and parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, place peppers cut side up in a 13x9" baking dish. Divide beef and rice filling evenly among the peppers, packing down lightly with the wooden spoon. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese over filled peppers.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until filling is heated through and cheese has melted.
Nutrition Facts (1 stuffed pepper half): Calories 250, Total Fat 12g (Saturated 6g), Cholesterol 35mg, Sodium 610mg, Total Carbohydrate 18g, Dietary Fiber 3g, Protein 19g, Vitamin A 60% DV, Vitamin C 270% DV, Calcium 15% DV, Iron 15% DV