Kokedama String Gardening
February 5 | 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
String Gardening is a term that has become attached to a style of Japanese bonsai known as Kokedama, which literally means “moss ball” in English. To create these “moss balls”, a plant is taken out of its pot, most of its soil removed, and is inserted into a ball of soil, wrapped in moss which is then held together with string, and hung from decorative string. Learn from Extension State Master Gardener Specialist Candice Hart the history of these interesting plantings, the exact process of making a string garden, and the specific care instructions. Participants will be sent a list of materials upon registration if they would like to build their own Kokedama during the class. Presenter: Candice Hart, University of Illinois Extension
This program is part of Gardening in the Air, a virtual series on February 5 co-hosted by University of Illinois Extension and Iowa State University Extension. Sessions are 9 a.m., 10:15 a.m., and 11:30 a.m. CST. Sign up for one session or the entire series. Sessions are free to attend, but a donation is appreciated. Access links and handouts will be provided upon registration.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate, or for more information, contact Bruce Black at email@example.com. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time for meeting access needs. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time for the requested accommodation. Some programs will be recorded. If recorded, closed captioning for requested programs will be honored after the event.
Gardening in the Air Sessions
- 9-10 a.m. Native Shrubs and Wildlife Benefits
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Move Beyond the Lawn! Small Scale Prairie Restorations for Pollinators and Other Wildlife
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Taking Action for Native Bees
- 9-10 a.m. Plant Propagation Techniques for the Home: Indoors and Out
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Diagnosing Indoor Plant Problems: Troubleshooting Common Issues with Houseplants
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Kokedama String Gardening