Move Beyond the Lawn! Small Scale Prairie Restorations for Pollinators and Other Wildlife
February 5 | 10:15-11:15 AM
Prairie restorations, both large and small, can greatly benefit wildlife, particularly insects and birds. Replacing lawn or adding in prairie plantings in flower beds, field edges, fence rows, grassed waterways or other areas is an easy way to enhance the wildlife habitat value of a parcel of land and can be an option for any landowner, even those with small parcels in residential areas. This presentation will discuss the processes and benefits of small scale prairie restoration and highlight personal experiences of establishing and managing prairies. Presenter: Chris Evans, University of Illinois Extension
This program is part of Gardening in the Air, a virtual series on February 5 co-hosted by University of Illinois Extension and Iowa State University Extension. Sessions are 9 a.m., 10:15 a.m., and 11:30 a.m. CST. Sign up for one session or the entire series. Sessions are free to attend, but a donation is appreciated. Access links and handouts will be provided upon registration.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate, or for more information, contact Bruce Black at email@example.com. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time for meeting access needs. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time for the requested accommodation. Some programs will be recorded. If recorded, closed captioning for requested programs will be honored after the event.
Gardening in the Air Sessions
- 9-10 a.m. Native Shrubs and Wildlife Benefits
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Move Beyond the Lawn! Small Scale Prairie Restorations for Pollinators and Other Wildlife
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Taking Action for Native Bees
- 9-10 a.m. Plant Propagation Techniques for the Home: Indoors and Out
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Diagnosing Indoor Plant Problems: Troubleshooting Common Issues with Houseplants
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Kokedama String Gardening
- 9-10 a.m. Trees that Pop in the Spring!
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Tree Pruning Tips
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. 2022 Cool Kid in the Garden