535 South Randall Road
St. Charles, IL 60174-1591
Amy Henschen is a 4-H Youth Development Specialist with University of Illinois Extension. She provides statewide 4-H program leadership in the areas of evaluation and staff development. Amy works in collaboration with Extension staff and partners to leverage data to communicate program impacts, identify needs and improve processes. In conjunction with work teams, she also designs and facilitates staff development opportunities that build overall employee capacity.
Amy grew up in Lake County, Illinois, where she was an active 4-H member. She worked as a Marketing Specialist for a regional open space agency before joining the Peace Corps as a community economic development promoter. After completing her Peace Corps service in Paraguay, she worked as a 4-H Youth Development Agent for 6 years with Colorado State University Extension. She joined the University of Illinois Extension team in 2019 as a Youth Development Educator, before switching to her current role in 2020.
She holds a bachelor’s degree in Communication and Spanish from the University of Dayton and a master’s degree in Agricultural Extension Education from Colorado State University.
Amy has extensive experience with staff development, program management, evaluation, outreach, marketing, public relations, and new audience development. Her passion is helping enhance the capacities of adults working with youth in order to improve overall program quality and impact.
- eXtension Impact Collaborative Innovation Facilitator – Facilitates the innovation skill-building experience to help groups generate innovative ideas and programs
- Click2Science Professional Development Trainer – Assists volunteers and staff working with youth to improve their ability to offer impactful and high-quality hands-on STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education.
- Real Colors Certified Facilitator – Helps teams and individuals gain an understanding of them temperament types and leverage that information to improve communication and strengthen relationships.
- 2019 Communicator Award – News Story
- 2018 Excellence in Educational Technology
- 2017 Achievement in Service
- 2017 Communicator Award - News Story
- 2017 Communicator Award - Periodical Publication