While it may seem a little bit off topic, there have been many questions concerning eligibility for exhibition in the Junior Show at future State Fair Opportunities. Many questions have come to us concerning livestock exhibition, particularly for youth who are beyond the 4-H enrollment age. Here is a synopsis of eligibility rules for the 2016 fair:
GENERAL ELIGIBILITY RULES
New and Currently Effective with the 2016 Illinois State Fair
- Exhibitors in the Junior Livestock Division of the Illinois State Fair must be enrolled in Illinois 4-H and/or FFA as determined by the established guidelines of those programs. Exhibitors in the Junior Show 4-H Exhibit Division must be Illinois 4-H members in accordance with program guidelines.
- Age Requirements:
- 4-H members aged 8-18 as of September 1, 2015 are eligible to participate in the Illinois State Fair Junior Department.
- FFA members up to 18 years of age as of September 1, 2015 are eligible to participate in the Illinois State Fair Junior Livestock Division.
- Individuals previously enrolled as active members in Illinois 4-H and/or FFA programs and turning 19-20 years of age by September 1, 2015, may participate in the Junior Livestock Division of the Illinois State Fair provided they are active FFA members as verified by Illinois FFA and in accordance with one of the following program options:
- Maintain active membership on the roster of their local high school FFA Chapter;
- Maintain active membership in a collegiate FFA Chapter in a post-secondary institution of higher education in the State of Illinois; or
- Maintain active membership in an Illinois FFA Alumni Chapter.
- FFA members 21 years of age prior to September 1, 2015 are ineligible to show in the Junior Livestock Division of the Illinois State Fair.