Valentine’s Day is a time to focus on love! But the joys of February 14 don’t have to stop with romantic love. It’s a great time to celebrate loving relationships of all kinds! One relationship that is sometimes taken for granted in the special connection between grandparents and grandchildren. This multi-generational bond is great for warm hugs and special treats – but can also be used to share wisdom and energy, remembrances of the past and hopes for the future.
Set aside an hour this week to record yourself or your child interviewing grandparents – or have all parties answer the same questions. Use a mobile device to record the chat and listen again during times you miss your loved ones. (Be sure that you have everyone’s permission to do so.)
Here are a few good interview questions to get you started:
- What were your grandparents like?
- Tell me about the house you grew up in.
- Who was your best friend growing up? What did you do together?
- What was school like for you?
- Have you traveled often? What’s your favorite vacation memory?
- What jobs have you had?
- What were my parents like when they were little?
- What can you tell me about yourself that would surprise me?
- What’s your favorite thing about being a grandparent?