The American Heart Association recommends eating fish twice weekly to reap the benefits of this leaner protein option. Cold-water fatty fish like salmon, tuna, sardines, lake trout, mackerel, and herring are good sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help lower blood pressure and triglyceride levels.
Vegetables are also essential for heart health. They provide potassium to counteract sodium's effect on blood pressure, as well as fiber that can help lower blood cholesterol. Plus, vitamins and minerals with antioxidant power.
So make your heart AND stomach happy with Herbed Salmon and Garlic-Parmesan Broccoli!
Easy Herbed Salmon (Printable PDF Version)
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 ½ pounds fresh salmon, divided into even portions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons French Herb blend
- Salt and pepper
French Herb Blend:
- 3 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried summer savory
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
Mix all ingredients together and store in airtight container.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with foil.
2. Whisk together 1 tablespoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and lemon juice. Add herbs and whisk until evenly distributed. Pour the mixture over the salmon and rub into flesh. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 2 of the salmon filets to the pan, skin side down. Cook on each side 1-2 minutes or until slightly browned.
4. Remove salmon filets from pan and place (skin side down) on the prepared baking tray. Repeat with remaining tablespoon of oil and salmon filets.
5. Place baking tray with salmon filets in the preheated oven. Bake additional 5-10 minutes or until flesh is opaque and flakes easily.
Nutrition Facts (3 ounces cooked): Calories 270, Total Fat 19g (Saturated 3g), Cholesterol 70mg, Sodium 270mg, Total Carbohydrate 1g, Dietary Fiber 0g, Protein 23g, Vitamin A 0% DV, Vitamin C 10% DV, Calcium 0% DV, Iron 0% DV
Garlic-Parmesan Broccoli (Printable PDF Version)
Makes 4 servings
- 1 head of fresh broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 ½ cups florets)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Steam broccoli florets until bright green and crisp-tender* (about 2 minutes); drain.
2. Heat a large skillet prepared with nonstick spray over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and saute until slightly browned.
3. Add garlic powder and parmesan cheese and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and crushed pepper flakes if desired.
*To steam broccoli in microwave, add florets and 1-2 tablespoons of water to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, for about 2 minutes. Remove cover carefully and drain water.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 45, Total Fat 2g (Saturated 1g), Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 260mg, Total Carbohydrate 5g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 10% DV, Vitamin C 115% DV, Calcium 10% DV, Iron 0% DV
Today's post was written by Leia Kedem. Leia Kedem, MS, RD, is a registered dietitian and Nutrition & Wellness Educator covering Champaign, Ford, Iroquois, and Vermilion Counties. She appears weekly on WCIA-3/WCIX-49 and is a biweekly contributor to the Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette. She also maintains Facebook and Twitter accounts where she regularly posts health tips and answers nutrition questions for free.