Once again, University of Illinois Extension Master Gardeners and their partners have rounded up a top-notch Gardeners' BIG Day. The 18th annual event will be Saturday, April 29, 2017, from 8:00-3:00 at Dickson Mounds Museum. Attendees will hear speakers, visit vendors, and see gardening displays. Partnering sponsors include University of Illinois Extension Fulton and Mason County Master Gardeners and Master Naturalists, Spoon River Garden Club, and Dickson Mounds Museum.
The day starts with a keynote address by are horticulture expert Ella Maxwell. During "What 30 years of Gardening Has Taught Me" she will discuss how her love of gardening set her on an adventure of learning, with a few hiccups along the way.
Attendees will choose four breakout sessions, which include the following topics.
- Top Ten Turf Tips with Rhonda Ferree provides tips for establishing and maintaining the yard of your dreams.
- Bringing Your Flower Garden Inside with Christine Wrightdemonstrates using garden-type flowers to create an indoor bouquet.
- Fantastic, Funky & Favorite Spring Blooming Bulbs with Martha A. Smith share her favorite uncommon bulbs she has discovered over the years.
- Mole and Rodent Control with Hal Burdin
- Little Gardens with Jan Powers explores the charms of a small garden using herbs and flowers.
- Make Every Drop Count with Chris Enroth details design strategies and proper plant selection to minimize your water usage.
- The Secret Lives of Weeds with John Curtis outlines some simple principles and techniques for managing weeds organically.
- Busting Garden Myths with Kari Houle walks you through common myths and garden legends and the actual scientific recommendations for proper plant and garden care.
- Costa Rica-Amazing Plants with Carla Murray show some of the incredible plant diversity of the country.
- Gardens of the World with Sunita Shastry showcases stories and images from stunning gardens that Sunita has visited on her International travels.
- Master Gardener Q&A with Art Holtman, Bob Keene, & Terry Meade is a casual presentation that provides a time for general gardening questions and answers.
Pre-registration is required. The cost, which includes lunch, is just $32.00 prior to April 10 ($42.00 after). For more information and to register, go to http://web.extension.illinois.edu/fmpt, or contact our Extension office at email@example.com or 309-543-3308. Register early because these sessions fill quickly!