University of Illinois Extension and Citizens to Preserve Black Hawk Park Foundation have teamed up to offer a free winter wellness event. Come enjoy family fun for all ages with hands-on activity stations and presentations inside Singing Bird Nature Center, 1510 46th Ave, Rock Island, IL. Guests will be asked to wear a mask for all indoor activities. Here's what's planned:
- Birds: Learn about Midwestern birds and what you can do to support their life cycle from Master Gardener and Master Naturalist volunteers. Make a window cling to use at home to prevent bird collisions.
- Kids Create: 4-H will be offering hands-on nature crafts, a scavenger hunt, and a make and take bird feeder activity. Kids can also learn about winter weather and play with magic SNOW from Mercer County Ag Literacy!
- Warm up with Soup and Hot Cocoa! Illinois Extension SNAP-Ed will offer free soup samples and hot cocoa. They will also have the recipes and many other nutrition and wellness handouts available.
- Explore 8 Dimensions of Wellness: Wellness is multi-dimensional, including physical, financial, emotional, social, spiritual, environmental, vocational, and intellectual. These dimensions should work in harmony to help achieve optimal health and well-being. Get information from IL Extension on this 8 Dimensions holistic health concept.
- Winter Walk: Head outside and visit our winter wellness signs along the pathways between Singing Bird and Black Hawk State Historic Site for tips on ways to stay active and healthy.
- Museum Visit: Visit the Hauberg Museum which tells the story of the Sauk and Meskwaki through interpretive maps, artifacts, and seasonal dioramas.
Presentation Schedule: Illinois Extension is offering three different presentations related to winter wellness inside Singing Bird Nature Center: