Extension Pollinator Garden
- A project on container displays and pollinator gardens.
- Container plantings are rotated seasonally to showcase planting demonstrations for each season.
- The plantings in the pollinator gardens are divided into a bed of native plantings and a bed of traditional ornamental annuals and perennials that attract pollinators.
- The gardens are designated a Pollinator Pocket and a Monarch Waystation.
- Visitors can view a map of all plantings in the office lobby.
Herb Garden at ISU Horticulture Center
- Master Gardeners maintain the Herb Garden, one of many gardens at Illinois State University Horticulture Center.
- The garden was redeveloped in 2014 and is divided into 4 quadrants: sensory, fragrance, themed, and culinary.
- An annual theme determines education and design for the themed quadrant.
- Visitors can learn how herbs can be used in each quadrant and are encouraged to visit during scheduled events for opportunities to complete 'make and take' activities related to the garden.
Illinois Art Station
- University of Illinois Extension McLean County Master Gardeners and Illinois Grand Prairie Master Naturalists work with Illinois Art to...
- build a space for all people to experience and build respect for the natural environment;
- provide an educational learning nature site for youth and their families—from all neighborhoods and backgrounds.
- The garden space that is designed and maintained by Master Gardeners and Master Naturalists promotes wildlife habitat, including pollinator habitat, and it is registered as a Monarch Waystation.
- The woodland area has been a roosting site for Monarch butterflies during their annual migration and Master Naturalists are removing invasive species to further improve habitat for all native species, both plant and animal.
Sarah's Garden at David Davis Mansion
- A garden with a blend of historical preservation and horticulture education, Master Gardeners and community gardeners work together year-round to...
- Maintain historic garden elements including maintaining a historic seed and plant collection
- Learn historical information relevant to Sarah's Garden to improve garden maintenance
- Restored to the conditions of Sarah's garden in 1872, this historical landmark is an educational stopping point for David Davis Mansion visitors including youth groups and garden clubs.
- In spring and fall, local 3rd-grade classrooms participate in hands-on garden education.
- The opportunity to attain historical plants from Sarah's Garden during the annual plant propagation workshop in late spring draws in community members and city visitors.
McLean County Junior Master Gardener Projects
Bloomington Junior High Garden Club
Master Gardeners assist students in planning, planting and maintaining various horticultural projects throughout the academic year.
Holton Homes Junior Master Gardeners
Master Gardeners use raised beds and self-irrigating planters to raise vegetables, herbs, and annual flowers for Holton Homes and John Kane residents. Holton Homes and John Kane Senior Homes are both part of the Bloomington Housing Authority's group of public housing located in southwest Bloomington. Master Gardeners work with area youth and seniors to raise, harvest, and distribute produce to the community's residents. In Spring and Autumn, we provide education to youth at after-school programs held at the Holton Homes computer lab. The seniors at John Kane Homes provide input to Master Gardeners and work with us during weekly garden maintenance and harvesting and are the primary recipients of our fresh produce.
LeRoy School Garden
Master Gardeners lead a weekly after school gardening program for students.