- Thoroughly clean tools, shoes, and vehicles when moving from one site to another.
- Only purchase compost, mulch, or other organic matter that has been heated to appropriate temperatures and duration to reduce the spread of pathogens, insects, and weeds. Jumping worm egg casings do not survive temperatures over 104°F
- Remove adult jumping worms. Place adults in a plastic bag and leave in the sun at least 10 minutes.
Only accept plants...
- From gardeners that have looked for jumping worms
- That don't come from an area known to have jumping worms.
- If there is no evidence (like soil that resembles coffee grounds) to suspect there are jumping worms at the site that produced these plants/materials.
Use these practices to prevent their spread:
- Remove soil from all plants before transporting them
- This limits the spread of weeds and worms by removing most earthworm egg cases or weed seeds.
- Wash roots