The other day I was visiting with a friend about the importance of feeling optimistic about the future. It is only fitting to think about the future and having a positive mindset as we move into 2020. Being optimistic doesn’t mean to forget about the struggles or issues that you might be experiencing. Still, it is about making sure your mindset is in order. We all know what it is like to be around someone negative or pessimistic. Negativity has an impact on an individual’s friendships, relationships, and personal mental health. Research has indicated that one of the factors of a resilient person is how they are optimistic and positive about the future. So, how do we become more optimistic/positive? Well, it takes practice. Here are a few tips:
- See the glass half full: It is essential to look at things, in general, more positive. Don’t let yourself get caught being a pessimist and only see the glass half empty.
- Believe in yourself and others: Know your self-worth. Make sure you are not verbally discounting yourself and that you don’t settle for less. Also, make sure you are encouraging to others and don’t only focus on their faults. Remember the quote, “People who never made a mistake has never tried anything new.”
- Count your blessings: Recognize what you have. Sometimes it might be the simple things around you, i.e., a roof over your head, food on the table, and a warm bed. It might be a good idea to journal or keep a blessing book so, you keep on track recognize all the blessings around us.
- Develop a positive quote or mantra: This goes back to positive self-talk but, with a twist of your own words that can inspire you.
- Participate in activities that are healthy and bring you joy: Whether it’s going to a good movie, taking a trip, spending time focusing on your hobby; make time for it.
- Make SMART goals: No excuses. Set specific, measurable, Attainable, realistic, and timely goals for yourself. Please don’t beat yourself up, for you might need to tweak your goals a little.
Let happiness be one of your New Year’s Resolutions. Try utilizing a few of these tips to explore being optimistic and positive about your future.