We’ve all been there. The family comes together at the end of a long day at school or work and you’re looking forward to connecting with the people you love most. You ask about their days, eager to hear details about the part of their lives you don’t get to see. Instead, you are met with the frustratingly ever-present response: FINE.
Why does this happen? Maybe they there’s just too much information to know where to start. Maybe they genuinely think they’ve answered your question. Maybe they’ve developed an amnesia-like condition in which the last 8 hours simply can’t be recalled.
Whatever the case may be, adding a few new conversation starters to your repertoire might be just what they need to rethink their response. Try these:
- Teach me something you learned today.
- If you could change one thing about your day today, what would it be and why?
- When did you see someone being kind today?
- If your teacher (or boss) had an extra $500, what do you think they would buy?
- What are you looking forward to tomorrow?