Mother’s Day is this Sunday, May 9, 2021. Do something special this weekend to show the Moms in your life how much you appreciate all that they do!
- Brighten Up Her View – Whether she has a sprawling backyard vista or a simple window in the kitchen, giving mom fun and beautiful things to look at can brighten her days. Try these ideas:
- Make Her a Special Meal – The burden of cooking often falls on mom. Give her a well-deserved break by making a special meal for her. (Just be sure to clean up, too!) Eat.Move.Save. has lots of great, healthy recipes. Here are a few favorites for breakfast or brunch:
- Encourage Self Care – Sometimes moms are so busy taking care of everyone else that they forget to take care of themselves. These ideas can help you give her the time, space, and tools to care for herself:
- As another adult, you can provide mom with some uninterrupted alone time by offering to watch the kids for a few hours. As a child at home, you can keep yourself busy with an activity you can do quietly by yourself – like reading a book or doing a puzzle – so your mom has time to do something for herself.
- Journaling is a great way for moms to de-stress. You can learn how to make a special journal for your mom here. You can also get ideas on different types of journals in a previous Connection Corner post.
- Give mom an at-home spa experience using bath and beauty items you make yourself – or create a Spa & Relaxation 4-H Club so you and your family can make self-care a routine. Find recipes and club ideas in the Discover 4-H Spa & Relaxation Clubs curriculum.
- Tell Her How You Feel – Words are powerful! Mother’s Day (or any day, really) is a great time tell the mom in your life what she means to you and how much you appreciate all that she does. Here are a few ways to do this:
- Make flowers like the ones in this Garden of Greatness activity – but adapt them to say all the things you love about your mom.
- Write a card or note thanking her for all that she’s done for you.
- Write affirmations on index cards or sticky notes and place them where she will find them. You can find examples of affirmations in Connection Corner: Showing Kindness Challenge.
- Tell her about a special memory you have of her.