Do you love growing vegetables and fruits, but want short cuts to food preparation? Learn some basic knife skills in this follow-along presentation. Supplies needed: a cutting board, knife, green pepper, onion, orange, and head of romaine.
Register online by January 27.
Presenter: Carol Longley, University of Illinois Extension
This program is part of Gardening in the Air, a virtual series offered January 30 and February 6 and co-hosted by University of Illinois Extension and Iowa State University Extension.
Sessions will be hosted using Zoom at 9 a.m., 10:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Central Standard Time. Participants may register for a single session or the entire series. Sessions are free to attend, but a donation is appreciated. Access links and handouts will be provided upon registration.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in programming, please contact Martha Smith at email@example.com. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time for the requested accommodation. Some programs will be recorded. If recorded, closed captioning for requested programs will be honored after the event.
Other Sessions in the Series
Winter Gardening Activities
- 9-10 a.m. Gardening is Good
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Introduction to Fruit Tree Pruning
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Purchasing Seeds and Plants
- 9-10 am Native Plants with Winter Wildlife Interest
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Backing Backyard Birds in Yards and Gardens
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. When Your Nearest Neighbors Aren’t Human (a.k.a. Living with Wildlife)
Food and Nutrition
- 9-10 a.m. Funkalicious Fermentation
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Flying Knives: Vegetable and Fruit Preparation Tips
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Preserve the Taste of Summer
- 9-10 a.m. Ornamental Grasses with Winter Interest
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Introduction to Sustainable Landscapes
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. How to Create an Out-of-the-Ordinary Theme Garden
Vegetables, Fruits and Herbs
- 9-10 a.m. Growing Herbs and Microgreens Indoors
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. Straw Bale Gardening
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Starting Seeds for the Garden Indoors
- 9-10 a.m. Growing Blooming Houseplants
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. What is Wrong with My Houseplant?
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Succulent Wreaths