Commercial Agriculture spans a wide range of topics and works to address the needs of various producers. The expertise of our local educational specialists combined with the resources of the statewide Illinois Extension system form a powerful source of information and insight for agricultural producers in our region.
Looking for an answer to a specific question? Contact Haley Haverback, Watershed Outreach Associate and she can help direct you to the best resources to help you.
Upcoming Agriculture Offerings
Check out this quick link to upcoming agriculture offerings in our unit
Join commercial agriculture educator from University of Illinois Extension for a series of summer webinars on select Wednesdays from 3 – 4 PM. Topics include:
June 10: Hemp crop updates; Join Commercial Agriculture Educator, Phillip Alberti, as he discusses his experiences from the 2019 hemp growing season in his webinar titled "Hemp crop review and research updates". Additionally, Alberti will be sharing some of the most recent hemp production research from land grant universities across the country.
June 24: Are nematodes stealing your yield? Do you have yield that is disappearing suspiciously? You might have a nematode problem in your field. Chelsea Harbach (Commercial Agriculture Educator, Illinois Extension) and Diane Plewa (University of Illinois Plant Clinic) present "Nematodes stealing your yield? You'll never know until you sample!" to discuss when sampling might be a good idea, how to sample your fields, and the process of examining a sample in the Plant Clinic!
July 8: Foliar and stalk diseases on corn Dr. Nathan Kleczewski (field crops pathologist, Assistant Professor, University of Illinois Department of Crop Sciences) talks all things corn diseases in "Foliar and stalk diseases on corn- scouting, identification, and management". Learn more about how to look for economically important corn diseases in your fields this growing season!
There are over a dozen different courses you can take on topics include: Cover Crops and Soil N Availability in Corn and Soybean Systems; Tile and Nutrients; The Dicama Dilemma and more. Once you complete a course, University of Illinois Extension will report any CEUs you receive to the International Certified Crop Adviser Program in Madison.
This program focuses on educating Illinois livestock producers in environmental stewardship and best management practices for their operations. Producers who participate in this program gain knowledge on the best ways to manage and utilize their manure.
Upcoming Agriculture Offerings
Industrial hemp resources and needs assessment survey for growers
Variety Testing Program
Private Applicator Training
Unit 7 Winter Ag Newsletter
Nutrient Loss Reduction
IL Nutrient Loss Reduction Podcast. The podcasts feature interviews with agriculture and water quality educators from University of Illinois, Extension, soil and water and other agencies as well as farmers who give tips, explain processes and tell first-hand stories about real-life applications of strategies.
Late and Prevented Planting
- Late Planting Checklist This is a quick-hitting Q&A to help producers make late planting decisions put together by the University of Illinois Extension commercial agriculture team.
- Dealing with Very Late Planting
- Planting Decision Model - FAST Tools
- Prevented Planting Decision for Corn in the Midwest
- Prevented Planting, 2019 Market Facilitation Program Payments, Disaster Assistance and Price Dynamics
- Weed Management on Prevented Planting Acres
- Weed Management Reminders in a Wet Spring
- What Impact Will Late Planting Have on Crop Diseases?
Farm Stress Management
- Farm Stress Resources
- How to Cultivate a Productive Mindset
- How to Talk to Farmers Under Stress
- My Coping Strategies Plan
Industrial Hemp Production
- Agricultural Safety and Health
- Pesticide Safey
- farmdoc: A very useful center that will help you better manage and operate your farm.
- Certified Crop Adviser: Take classes and earn Certified Crop Adviser credit.
- Certified Livestock Manager: Register for workshops or online classes to receive certification.
- MarketMaker: A resource to connect agricultural producers with buyers for their products
- Illinois Pesticide Review: The Illinois Pesticide Review provides concise information on legislation, regulations, and other developments directly impacting pesticide use in Illinois.
- The Bulletin: Weekly bulletins during the growing season, letting you know what problem pests to look for before they reach your field.