Commercial Agriculture spans a wide range of topics and works to address the needs of various producers. The expertise of our local educational specialists combined with the resources of the statewide Illinois Extension system form a powerful source of information and insight for agricultural producers in our region.
Looking for an answer to a specific question? Contact Rachel Curry Watershed Outreach Associate and she can help direct you to the best resources to help you.
Check out our Expert Assistance teams including Commercial Agriculture,Local Foods and Small Farms, and Energy and Environmental Stewardship Team
Commercial Agriculture is a broad and diverse area of study. We've organized our resources into several topical themes to help you dig more deeply into your areas of interest. From educational curriculum units to websites devoted to deeply exploring a single topic area, our resource collection represents best practices based on both proven and emerging research and the work of our professional education staff.
Pesticide Safety Education Program
New Resource for Hemp Growers
Certified Livestock Managers Training
Variety Testing Program
Nutrient Loss Reduction
IL Nutrient Loss Reduction Podcast. The podcasts feature interviews with agriculture and water quality educators from University of Illinois, Extension, soil and water and other agencies as well as farmers who give tips, explain processes and tell first-hand stories about real-life applications of strategies.
Late and Prevented Planting
- Late Planting Checklist This is a quick-hitting Q&A to help producers make late planting decisions put together by the University of Illinois Extension commercial agriculture team.
- Dealing with Very Late Planting
- Planting Decision Model - FAST Tools
- Prevented Planting Decision for Corn in the Midwest
- Prevented Planting, 2019 Market Facilitation Program Payments, Disaster Assistance and Price Dynamics
- Weed Management on Prevented Planting Acres
- Weed Management Reminders in a Wet Spring
- What Impact Will Late Planting Have on Crop Diseases?
Farm Stress Management
- Farm Stress Resources
- How to Cultivate a Productive Mindset
- How to Talk to Farmers Under Stress
- My Coping Strategies Plan
Industrial Hemp Production
- Agricultural Safety and Health
- Pesticide Safey
- farmdoc: A very useful center that will help you better manage and operate your farm.
- Certified Crop Adviser: Take classes and earn Certified Crop Adviser credit.
- Certified Livestock Manager: Register for workshops or online classes to receive certification.
- MarketMaker: A resource to connect agricultural producers with buyers for their products
Acres of Knowledge: All issues concerning Small Farms, Agriculture, Local Food Systems, and the Natural Resources.
The Ag Engineering Update: The latest and greatest from your livestock engineers.
Around the County: Frequent information updates for agricultural audiences.
The Cattle Blog: Beef production tips and livestock industry updates.
The Cattle Connection: The cattlemen's connection to timely topics, current research, and profitable management strategies.
Straight Stalk: Current crop information updates and research highlights.
Cash Rents Podcast: Dr. Gary Schnitkey explores farm and risk management
IL Nutrient Loss Reduction Podcast. feature interviews with agriculture and water quality educators from University of Illinois, Extension, soil and water and other agencies as well as farmers who give tips, explain processes and tell first-hand stories about real-life applications of strategies.