Brittnay Haag is a Horticulture Educator with University of Illinois Extension, serving Livingston, McLean, and Woodford Counties. Her work focuses on youth horticulture education, specifically through school gardens and Jr. Master Gardener programs.
Brittnay provides leadership for three county Master Gardener programs, and is responsible for developing community programs and providing expertise in horticulture and environmental sciences.
Raised on a grain farm in McLean County, Brittnay attended Tri-Valley High School and Illinois State University where she earned a B.S. in Ag Business and an M.S. in Ag Science, with a focus in Horticulture. During her tenure at ISU, she was worked at the ISU Horticulture Center, an outdoor laboratory for students and a public garden space for the community.
In 2018, Brittnay collaborated with the ISU Horticulture Center to create the Little Roots gardening calendar for 4-H Cloverbuds (age 5-7). The calendar guides children in growing six different plants, seed through harvest. Weekly activities engage youth in observing the world around them, researching basic horticulture terms, and caring for their plants, plus activities exploring pollination & insects, weather, plant parts, and life cycles. Cloverbuds that participate in the program are able to showcase their vegetables and flowers at their county 4-H show and ISU Horticulture Center events.
- Green Thumb Gardener
- Illinois Country Living Magazine
- Gardener’s Corner
- YouTube: Youth Gardening: Back Pocket Lessons & Activities: Learn quick, easy, and highly engaging gardening activities that require minimal preparation.
- Illinois Master Gardener Advisory Council
- Illinois Extension Human Resources Committee
School Garden Support
If your school is interested in starting a school garden, reviving a current one, or connecting the curriculum to the garden, contact Brittnay Haag.
Youth Programs & Workshops*
- Summer Camps
- Afterschool Garden Clubs
- Activity stations at school or community events
* Topics include Butterflies, Flowers & Pollination, Seeds & Germination, Trees, Worms, Lady Bugs, Birds, Plant Parts & Needs, Plant Propagation, Garden Exploration & Scavenger Hunts, Garden Food Chain. Contact Brittnay to schedule a session or suggest additional horticulture topics.