Planning and Planting
- Planting Dates for Vegetables and Annual Flowers: Information on planting times for the Cook County area.
- How to Make Your Own Seed Tape: A fun activity to do with children involves simple materials: toilet tissue, glue, and small vegetable seeds to make your own seed tape. And, as an added bonus, you won't have to thin your plants later.
- Which is Best-Seeds or Transplants? Knowing which plants work best as seeds or transplants can sometimes be confusing. This segment explains the best time to use either method to grow a successful and bountiful garden.
- Garden Design Basics
- Seed Starting Indoors
- Composting 101: Tips on how to Start Composting
- Lasagna Composting: The "Lasagna Method" is a way of structuring a compost system so that maintenance is minimized, pests are deterred, and both large and small amounts of compostables can be handled at any time. This simple layering system can be used in any bin.
- Worm Composting: Learn the basics of indoor worm composting. Includes Herman the Worm's family tree, history, anatomy and diet.
- Home Composting
- How to Take a Soil Sample: One of the best things a first-time gardener can do is have a soil sample taken. Learn how to properly take a soil sample.
- Soil Testing Labs: This list is provided for your reference. Call for current fees and services. Request an interpretation of the soil test results. Often labs will provide sample bags prior to you taking a soil sample, if you request sampling information.
- Organic Mulches: Organic mulches serve several important functions in garden and landscape plantings
Food and Nutrition
- 13 Vegetables to Donate to Food Pantries: While food pantries that accept fresh produce will accept most types of vegetables, the following are generally preferred.
- Food Preservation: The National Center for Home Food Preservation is your source for current research-based recommendations for most methods of home food preservation.
- USDA: Grow It, Try It, Like It! Nutrition Education Kit: Grow It, Try It, Like It! Nutrition Education Kit Featuring MyPlate is a garden-themed nutrition education kit for child care center staff that introduces children to: three fruits - peaches, strawberries, and cantaloupe, and three vegetables - spinach, sweet potatoes, and crookneck squash.
- Food Fun: Apples to Zucchini Coloring Book
- Vea Su Jardín Crecer: Vea Su Jardín Crecer es su guía para escoger, preparar, cultivar y guardar vegetales comunes.
- Bulbos y Más: Bulbos y Más te enseña todo acerca de la selección, cultivo, paisajismo y mucho más con bulbos en tu jardín.
- Jardin de Anuales: Descubra como las flores anuales pueden darle color a su jardín.
- Allergy Safety in School Gardens - AAPS
- Beekeeping with Youth
- Plant and Insect Safety in School Gardens
- Safety Around the Bee Hive