SEO: Search Engine Optimization Tips
Even the most informative, ground-breaking, and creative content can fall flat if no one can find it. Taking a few simple steps to optimize your content helps search engines do two things: rank your content for relevance and put your content in front of qualified audiences to help them find the information they need to live their best lives.
This guide shares simple tips for optimizing your website content, such as blog posts, event listings, media releases, and program page or website text.
Download the Best Practices Guide for SEO.
Listen to the recent SEO training (Dec 2020).
Steps to optimize webpage content
- Create relevant content
- Identify keywords
- Integrate keywords into your text
- Optimize and evaluate potential headline impact
- Consider using pre-formatted HTML title tags to prioritize content
- Organize blog and event text with bulleted or numbered lists
- Add hyperlinks
Free SEO research tools
- Perform searches within Illinois Extension's domain. Into a new Google search, type:
site:extension.illinois.eduto view all Extension website content.
site:extension.illinois.edu, then add
+ your keywordfor pages that contain that specific keyword
site:extension.illinois.edu + tomatoes
- Type in a keyword or search term to find auto-fill suggestions for related searches
- Search trending topics with Google Trends
- Learn what people want to know about your topic at Also Asked
If you have additional questions or need reasonable accommodation to access the recorded training, please contact presenter Liz Smith or a member of University of Illinois Extension's state communications team by submitting a ticket at: go.illinois.edu/MarketingRequest